What is Computer?
Computer is an electronic device, which accepts input processes it and generates output.
Computer is a machine, which can not do anything by itself.
Any machine can not do things itself and requires some sort of intelligence/logic fed to it using software.
Computer is also no exception. Means, we need to develop programs/software and feed in computer so that it can start, accept input, process it and generate output.
The term computer is derived from the Latin term ‘computare’, this means to calculate or programmable machine.
Charles Babbage is called the "Father" of the computer. The First mechanical computer designed by Charles Babbage was called Analytical Engine. It uses read-only memory in the form of punch cards.
Computer is electronic machine, i.e. it is having electronic components and it works on prinple of flow of eletrons i.e. current which is micro and milli amperes. Major components of a computer are:
- Microprocessor (generally termed as CPU)
- Hard Disk
- Mother Board
- Data/Address Buses (wires to carry data and addresses from one device to another)
- Ports (Such as USB, Ethernet, Wireless Device, Microphone, HDMI etc.
- Monitor/Screen/VDU (Visual Display Unit)
- Mouse etc.
About Computer Peripherals
Computer is consisting of many internal and external parts. Block diagram below gives an idea about input, output and processing elements of the computer
Hard Disk (Secondary Storage)
ALU - Arithmatic & Logical Unit
The characteristics of the ALU are as follows:
- The ALU is responsible for performing all logical and arithmetic operations.
- Some of the arithmetic operations are as follows: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Some of the logical operations are as follows: comparison between numbers, letter and or special characters.
- The ALU is also responsible for the following conditions: Equal-to conditions, Less-than condition and greater than condition.
CU - Control Unit
The characteristics of the CU or control unit are as follows:
- This part of the of the CPU is the one that is in charge of all the operations being carried out.
- It is responsible to direct the system to execute instructions.
- It helps in communication between the memory and the arithmetic logical unit.
- It also aids in the loading of data and instructions residing in the secondary memory to the main memory as required.
MU - Memory Unit
Monitor / Screen / VDU (Visual Display Unit)